Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to view an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Have to Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to remove the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will ensure that if you plant the newest lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to think about the grade in which your yard currently sits as well as the volume of soil that you must install for your new lawn. In a few special instances when you might put in a layer of brand new soil without getting above grade, you may leave the existing lawn set up. New lawns will require the absolute minimum depth of 3 inches of any well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed with the aid of sod cutter, using a bobcat and an excavator in hard to access yards might be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is very important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will see far better growth through the years in case a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the greater expensive the soil, the better quality.
The ideal lawn should be made with at the very least 3″ of the well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand as well as the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter needs to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and have a strong odor needs to be avoided as well. Generally topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and ensure the composting process is done. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance ought to be requested out of your supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred approach to installing a new lawn. Sod can be installed year round and turf farms are available to supply year round.
The range of grass seed or sod to use will depend on:
1. Using your lawn area. This can include the quantity of traffic that the lawn area is subjected to, including pets and kids.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at least 70% from the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
In most cases turf that comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a variety of sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some cases specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure to ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a whole new lawn may be completed by using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams tend not to match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending some extra time pulling the joints from the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers all the soil. If you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow inside the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult job if you don’t spend the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place having a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. There is no need to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod while you install. Usually do not allow the turf dry out at any point. When the sod is able to dry up, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may require frequent watering so be sure you are prepared ahead of time.
5. Roll the newest lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn could be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification to the property.